Monday 11 July 2005

details
so i crashed my car
big deal
it's been written off
bigger deal
need a new car
your chance to vote now, what should i get, at the moment i'm thinking 206 or focus or if i'm being really silly a toyota hi-lux, but i'm open to all suggestions providing they are sensible and affordable, so either leave me a message or mail me what you think i should be getting!

anyway, people keep asking me what happened so i'm going to try and tell you, but i can't actually remember hitting the van, only the bits before and after...here goes!

i was driving on the A418 from thame to aylesbury, the plan being to get to luton, to see luton lass, sat happily behind a line of traffic, doing between 50 and 60, we all started to brake for a corner, nothing major there. after turning the corner, the line of traffic all braked suddenly as on the other side of the road was a similar line of traffic all pretty much stationary with an ambulance whizzing past them with it's lights on. in braking heavily i managed to lock the front wheel sof my, now defunct, rover and skidded it into the back of a 51 plate mercedes van...D'OH!!! i remember thinking that i needed to take my foot off the brake to stop the skid, but then next thing i remember is seeing the van about 5m in front of me, with the driver out of his car and jogging towards me to check i was ok...nice chap actually, he spoke to my dad as well to try and tell him where i was and all that. i called luton lass to tell her i wasn't going to make it and that i had had a crash and i didn't really know where i was so she shouldn't try to find me, at least that what she said i said... i called my dad after and all i remember him asking is where was i, and i didn't know so i started shouting down the phone at him. bearing in mind all this time someone had called an ambulance and told me that i wasn't allowed to move until they got there, just in case like. when they got there they put a collar on me and checked a few things, they asked me if i thought i could walk, i said yes so they were going to get me to walk to the back of the ambulance and get on the stretcher and spinal board there, but when it came to standing up, i just couldn't do it, i had gone into shock and my legs were shaking that much that i managed about 3 feet before they told me to turn around and they would strap me to the bored standing...a weird sensation falling backwards without being able to crumple or put anything out to support myself i'll tell you! anyway they stuck me in the back on the ambulance eventually and hooked me up to a few things to measure my pulse and blood pressure. chunk arrived on the scene a little after i got into the ambulance, i'd sent him a message knowing he'd be the nearest person i could get hold of, it's funny, he's now met both my folks and on both occasions it's been because i've been to the hospital with him!!! anyway the copper came in and did a breath test on me while i was laying down...it was obviously clear as i'd not had a drink for a few days, but they've got to do these things.
in the hospital they eventually took me off the spinal board and told me that they were going to give me some pain relief, an injected pain relief, well those of you that know me know i go a bit loopy around injections and i don't have them unless i really need them, so i refused it! i had a load of x-rays done, of my neck and back and chest and hips and all that type of stuff. it turns ou that the pain in my chect was from a cracked sternum, but other than that there was nothing else wrong with me, yet they did insist on keeping me wired up to an ECG monitor for a while, which didn't work because the sticky things kept falling off because i'm so damned hairy! eventually i got told i could go home though so it was ok. i'd asked chunk to try and call luton lass because i wanted her to know i was ok, but my phone was dead so he had to get it off directory enquiries, but she wasn't in...it wasn't until i called my mum on the way home that i found out that she had been there and was on her way to the hospital to see me, part of me is glad she didn't find me because i know she'd have wanted to stay and she was supposed to be at work, bigger part of me was relieved to know that she was ok and looking for me. apparently she missed me at the hospital by about 15 minutes, don't you just hate that! she also told me that chunk sounded very professional when he called her...lol if only she knew!
now though i'm feeling pretty good, back ache has all but gone, as has the neck ache, chest still hurts when i forget about it and do something like twist around or stretch too far...only real concern now is my dodgy ankle, the one with the metalwork in it...since firday it's been really sore and it's starting to cause me pain to walk on it, tihnk i probably jarred it i the accident, but it's taken a while for the bruising to come out or whatever, but then i'm not a doctor and i don't really know, think if it's still sore tomorrow i might see if i can make a doctors appointment to get some pain killers for it...we'll see

well since then i've been taking it easy, today's been my first day back at work and it's not too bad, there's only me, spanish and the fall guy in the office today, everyone else was either in germany or having a day off and enjoying the weather...but apparently those in germany had rain :o)

thanks to everyone who's been in touch to check how i am, it means a lot to know that there are some idiots out there who a) waste their time reading this, and b) care about me...

anyway, best get off now, take care peeps and remember to get in touch with what you think my next car should be
laters
Px

1 comment:

Jen said...

Shit mate, well nasty :( sounds like you're having a really rough time. Hope you're feeling ok now, was thinking about popping round to see you at some point if that's cool? take it easy