Saturday 17 December 2005

ibs and the mebeverine hypochlorite
so this is the meds that the doc has put me on, it's an anti spasmodic which is supposed to supress the nerves in my large intestine and bowel area thus not causing large amounts of pain when i get even slightly stressed out...and it's supposed to work pretty damned quickly. i'm on 3 tablets a day and i'm just starting my third day of the course of tablets today (had the first one of the day about an hour ago now) and so far they've pretty much done nothing...
i know i need to take them for a while to see if they are going to help me out at all, but at the moment it feels as though they are having the reverse effect. last night for example i took my final pill for the day at about 8, and by 9.30 i was in pain, a lot of pain, and it wasn't good, it wasn't good at all.
various people have suggested that there may be a trigger food for me, and although i know it's stress related and there isn't a known trigger food for me, i'm trying to exclude certain things. not so i can turn round to them and say i told you so, but more because they may actually be right, i may have a trigger food, hitherto unknown to me. so this week i've been excluding carbonated soft drinks (i say soft drinks because i had a pint yesterday lunchtime) a week without coke never did anyone any harm, right? well i can rule out carbonated drinks as being my trigger food as i've been in pain a fair amount this week. someone has suggested that dairy might be my trigger, so i'm thinking that maybe next week i go without dairy, which will be a lot harder than going without carbonate drinks...
i've a little worried to think that maybe it's not ibs at the moment. there are 2 other things floating in my head at the moment, the first being a stomach ulcer, this is being ruled out though by the pain being in my lower abdomen and not heartburn/indigestion type of pain. the second is something that only came to me yesterday and i might suggest it to my doc if these pills carry on not working, this is a gluten allergy (can't spell the proper name for it) i had a work mate who had this and she suffered from similar symptoms as i'm currently having. i'm not sure if you can develop this though or how you get it, but the only food i can think of having every day is bread, and gluten is in, amongst other things, bread...so it's a possibility
anyway i'm going to give these pills another few days, if i'm still not feeling good, then i'm hauling myself back to the doc's to try the other meds or suggest the gluten thing (although a gluten free diet is a bit of a nightmare for everyone else i think)
laters
Px

7 comments:

Katie said...

I'm sorry you don't feel good.
Maybe the meds will start working soon so you don't have to go back to the doc. I don't lke going to the doc. till i have too. I wish you the best and hope everything works out for you...take it easy px...Kt Mae

Autumn Storm said...

Was going to suggest it might be a Gluten allegy, which I have, and can cause terrible pain (took myself off to the emergency room once, before I knew what it was). Make sure you go online or something to check it out, because there is gluten in so many things, you wouldn't even think of.
Good thing is, you won't have to wait a week to find out if this is it. You'll feel better almost momentarily and definitely after 24-48 hours.
Good thing is you live in the UK and products are marked making it much easier for you. So glad I can still have salt & vinegar crisps :)

Princess Pessimism said...

Maybe it's a combination of foods. Maybe it's the combo Meat + carbonated drinks + dairy...LOL! J/K I was reading, and thinking "What if you have to eliminate everything you eat, and start over." NIGHTMARE!!!

Miss Ash said...

Yes i agree with PP but i think it is the meat that is causing your pain. You should definately go the veggie way from now on ;) I'm only being an ass because i don't eat meat LOL. Hope the pills work.

Natalia said...

It sucks you are not feeling well. Of course the easy thing to say would be remove all stress causes from your life. And you and I have had that conversation, so I am not going to repeat it. But, alas, getting rid of the stress in your life is not easy at all. So, here's hoping the food restrictions help you along and that you don't hurt any more.

-N

Akanksha said...

hi px..
just back frm my vacation..
sorry to hear that u r not feeling well..
i hope the meds start workin..
why dnt u try meditation and stuff to handle stress better..
i kno its easier said than done but there is no harm in trying

berly02 said...

Sorry to you hear your still feeling bad.
I will cross my fingers for the meds to work and hope your feeling better by christmas.