Monday 9 January 2006

arguments
why is it that whenever my parents argue, i'm the one who gets stuck in the middle?
yesterday was a bad day, up until then the weekend had been going ok, but yesterday, well have a look and see for yourselves.
sunday lunch, everything's ok, pretty normal to be honest, after lunch i head upstairs to mess about online for a while and stuff like that while my folks get themselves organised to go and visit my nan.
dad let's the dog into the front room (he's only allowed in there if someone's with him as he can be a bugger at times) to wait for me as i was looking after him for the afternoon. this starts off an agrument with my mum, as she said the dog should wait in the kitchen, in his bed, like he normally does. lots of swearing and shouting ensues, the end result being mum heading off to nan's on her own, on the train. it's raining and we live 30 minutes walk from the station, and my nan lives further than that the other end.
andway, i head off out at about 4 to get my wages from the pub, have a drink and see the lady. told her all about what had gone on earlier in the afternoon. left the pub at 6 and headed home. spoke to dad, suggested that maybe he should call mum, find out where she is and offer to pick her up. another argument ensues, this time between me and him. at some point i told him that i thought the pair of them were acting like children and that they should both grow up, slammed the door and headed off upstairs, more shouting followed, with me getting the last words in "well maybe i should just fuck off, then you'll be on your own you miserable bastard" or words to that effect. i headed upstairs again, packed a bag very quickly and called my bro to see if i could use his flat for a few days until things calm down. so that's where i am, in a flat with no food, very few clothes, no other belongings, nothing.
last night i went back to the pub for my dinner, probably end up doing the same tonight, not sure yet, then went back to the flat, ran a bath and chilled for a while. mum called to find out where i was and ask me to come home so that we could gang up on him and i said no, and that i wasn't interested anymore, i wasn't going to get involved and i'd be home when i was ready and things had calmed down.
the plan is to stay out of it again tonight, pop round tomorrow night and see if things have calmed down any and if not then i'll be picking up some more things and heading back to the flat...so we'll see
until then though, only have access to the net via work and i'm trying to work out what i'm going to do if things haven't calmed down...
take care
Px

8 comments:

berly02 said...

That sucks.
Why must parents bring you into their arguments?
I will never understand it.

Natalia said...

Parents arguing sucks. And it's odd to see them behave like kids and you becoming the parent. But we all have our buttons. I am sure they love each other..but you know how it goes.

-N

Princess Pessimism said...

.....I hate to be the one to point out that slamming the door and storming away, while swearing the last word is not exactly mature. But I understand what it's like to deal with lousy parents.

You're right about not wanting to be involved though, its a lot of stress you dont need. I cant imagine why people want to live with their parents.

Courtney O. said...

Sorry to hear that - parents' fights are the worst. No matter how you try to help out or stay out, somehow you always get involved. I hear ya on that :) Hope things calm down soon!!!

Autumn Storm said...

Feel for ya, buddy.

Lindsey said...

My mom tries to get me to gang up on my dad too. Drives me crazy. It's their fight...not mine.

Miss Ash said...

I would suggest going back and seeing if it has calmed down like you were going to. However on the same note, if this is a regular occurance you may all want to sit down and have a nice calm chat about your relationships/actions/words and how they affect one another. You can't run away forever ...

Jennifer said...

Being a child of divorced parents, I find that the only good strategy is to keep your head down and not get involved. Your mum isn't made of sugar, she won't melt if she has to take a walk in the rain, if you can't go and pick her up yourself, then just let them sort it out themselves. Your parents chose eachother for a reason, it's too stressful for a kid, of any age, the think that they can mitigate the ups and downs of their parents marriage. Just let them fight, as long as they aren't hitting eachother. Don't get involved, they are both grown-ups (even if they are acting like children) capable of making their own choices and living with the consequences of their actions.
When this strategy doesn't work, I cover my ears and hum and rock forward and back until everybody stops arguing with eachother.