Wednesday 22 March 2006

facing my fears
last night, before heading round to joker's place to watch the wrestling and playing on the ps2, i broke a filling while eating a mint.
what's so scary i hear you ask
well i really don't like going to the dentist, it's not that i don't look after them so every time i go i'm having one pulled or drilled and filled, i'm actually pretty good at looking after my teeth. but ever since my previous dentist drilled the wrong tooth, a perfectly healthy and worst of all not numb tooth, which he then had to fill said hole and proceeded to charge me for it all as well! i've been more than a little scared to go for fear of more incompetence and therefore more pain.
it stopped me from going to the dentist for about years
so 2 years ago when i got toothache, i had to find a dentist who would sedate me completely to do the needed work, that time he pulled a tooth out. it took him (the new dentist) 15 minutes to get me calm enough to sit in the chair.
that was the last time i went to the dentist until today...last year i should've gone after sneezing a filling out...yes i actually sneezed a filling out!!!
so when i called today, they've got it on record that i need sedation, they told me that they'd look at it, but they wouldn't be able to do anything for at least a week because of the sedatoin thing. i said that i needed the work and was willing to go in with just an ordinary injection. so, the receptionist booked me in.
when i got there this afternoon, i was made fairly comfortable, and had a joke about the look of abject fear on my face. i was afraid, i don't mind admitting that. but this time i walked right in there and sat in the chair, reay for the worst. my dentist, who's called james brown (how cool is that), put me right at ease saying he wasn't willing to drill anything if it wasn't needed as he knew what had happened before with my previous dentist.
i needed no drilling (even in the hole from last year) and was in and out in 15 minutes :)
and it only cost me £25 (it i'd had the sedation treatment and drill and fill i'd have been looking at £200 at least)
so although i haven't conquered my fears, today i've started by facing up to them and coming out ok
i've also learnt not to eat my dad's mints, even if he did let me!!!
and PP although i still don't like the dentist, you're right, they can be your friend, mine has restored some of my missing faith in them today.
take care peeps
Px

5 comments:

berly02 said...

The only time I was afraid of the dentist was when they made me do the fluoride treatment. ICK!!
But I'm glad you conquered your fear dear. Good job!

Natalia said...

Hey where did my comment about the fact that I keep getting demoted go? CENSORHSIP! ROTFL :)

=N

Princess Pessimism said...

I told you...the dentist is your friend

Miss Ash said...

Did you actually end up paying for the filling that was in the wrong tooth?? I would have protested that one, his fault and he put you in a lot of pain.

Px said...

berly...never had that, i take it it's not a good thing

natalia...check the previous post :P

PP...i know, you were right, don't let it go to your head :P

ash...yep paid for it because if i hadn't he wouldn't have filled it, it'd have started to rot and then i'd have needed a filling anyway